Can you help stop buses idling on the Green by posting on social media?
This weekend SE5 Forum launches a week-long campaign to encourage bus drivers not to leave their engines idling and polluting the Green while changing buses.
SE5 Forum are engaging with bus companies about this but we hope more public support will lead to more action. Schools will be out and we all want cleaner air for our kids playing on the Green in the holidays, and everyone else using our valued green space.
The campaign will run on Twitter from Sat 17 to Fri 23 July – please support us by retweeting or posting to our Twitter account.
READ ALL ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN BELOW and how to support it:
SE5 Forum – Bus Idling Campaign
About the campaign The SE5 Forum for Camberwell is leading a social media campaign to highlight the damaging practices of London bus drivers who are leaving their engines idling (running while parked) when changing drivers at Camberwell Green.
Why are we campaigning? By leaving engines idling, buses are contributing towards poor air quality and creating needless noise and pollution next to Camberwell Green. The negative effects of engine idling are widely recognised, and the practice is forbidden against in the Highway Code (Rule 123).
Why now? In the lead up to the school summer holidays, during which time footfall and the amount of time children will be spending around the Green will increase, SE5 Forum is aiming to draw attention of this behaviour to the bus companies so they take appropriate action to stop bus drivers from leaving their engines idling. The week before the school summer holidays, Saturday 17th July until Friday 23rd July.
What will SE5 Forum be doing? SE5 Forum will be sharing videos of buses with their engines idling on social media channels as well as sharing some short video messages of support from local Councillors. SE5 Forum for Camberwell will also engage with the bus companies on the issues to what action they are going to take to eliminate this behaviour.
How can you support? Residents can record and share videos on social media of buses with their engines running while parked on the bus stand adjacent to Camberwell Green. You might also like or retweet content from SE5 Forum. Other ideas to get you started…..
- Take a short (10-second) video on their mobile phone when spotting a bus engine idling alongside Camberwell Green. If possible, residents should try to capture the bus operator name in their video which is above the front entry door!
- Post their video on Twitter, noting the bus route number, and the amount of time the bus engine was idling for. To help us make sure the bus companies see it, include an @ mention of the relevant bus company. Operators that serve Camberwell include @Abellio_UK and @Go_Ahead_London.
- Don’t forget to also tag SE5 Forum @SE5Forum so that we can re-tweet.
- Include the hashtags #CleanAirCamberwell so more people will see your post, and we can get the topic trending!
- Lastly, it goes without saying, but remember to be respectful and don’t use any inflammatory or offensive language in your post